This privacy notice is for people who sign up to received newsletter, participate in forums or register for an event organised by SAQN or other similar services provided by us.
It sets out the ways in which SAQN gathers, uses, stores and shares your data. It also sets out how long we keep your data and what rights you have in relation to your data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
For the purposes of this privacy notice, University of York is the Data Controller as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our entry can be found here. Our registration number is: Z4855807.
Where do we get your data from and how do we use your data?
SAQN collects information about you from forms you complete in order to participate in our network and use our services including:
- Information collected when you sign up for a newsletter or to read and contribute to a Discussion Board;
- Information collected when you register for event we organise;
- Information collected on a form relating to an event or funding application you are submitting;
- to compile statistical and personal returns for reporting purposes;
In addition, we may, from time to time, use your data to contact you with regard to a specific opportunity that we believe may be of interest to you. (E.g. notify you of another network member with a research project or an event that we believe is of interest to you because of your job title, organisation or sector.)
What data do we have?
We have the information you provide to us on forms when joining our services including your name, organisation and contact details, including email address and telephone number. We also will maintain lists of the types of events or funding opportunity you might be interested in or wish to be contacted about. Additional information about you may be processed for funding applications you submit.
What is our legal basis for processing your data?
Typically, data will be processed:
- on the grounds of contractual requirement or to take steps to enter into a contract with you (e.g. a funding application);
- to allow us to comply with our legal obligations;
- because it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest (for information on our public task see our function as set out in our charter which can be found here);
- because it is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interests;
- because you have given us your consent (e.g. newsletter and direct marketing)
Who do we share your data with?
Your data will be shared with the SAQN Leadership Management Group and Steering Group in order to make decisions on network activity, and with the University of York as the data controller. Your data will also be shared with Mailjet as our newsletter provider and with WordPress in order to enable access to the website Discussion Board.
What rights do you have in relation to your data?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a right of access to your data, a right to rectification, erasure (in certain circumstances), restriction, objection or portability (in certain circumstances). You also have a right to withdraw consent. You can verify or correct information in your student record at any time by following the guidance here, https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/manage/student-record/. For all other requests, see https://www.york.ac.uk/records-management/generaldataprotectionregulation/individualsrights/.
Additional privacy information and information about your rights
For further information on how the University uses your data and your rights under data protection legislation see, https://www.york.ac.uk/records-management/dp/your-info/generalprivacynotice/.